Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mid Winter Blues

January....My least favorite month of the year. And it has nothing to do with snow or cold temperatures.
I've always fought a bit of January depression.

Lake Coeur d'Alene

It's not as bad, now that I've found my purpose in photography, but still, with taxes looming and the evergrowing list of things that weren't accomplished last year, it takes a bit of resolve to get through these winter months.


Athol, Idaho


On the up side, for me as a photographer, fresh snow is quite literally a gift from above.
Sanders Beach, Lake CdA


I can't begin to explain the joy of searching out a photo opportunity and finding one after an overnight snowfall.
Rathdrum Prairie

Elk, Washington

Coeur d'Alene Forest

Those sub-zero temperatures make the waterways steam beautifully in the morning sun.

Spokane River

They create shoreline ice sculptures.

Lake Pend Oreille

Lake Pend Oreille

Additionally the shorter hours of winter actually provide longer hours of prime low angle lighting,
so important to good landscape photography.

I was also fortunate enough to have a little mid January getaway to the North Puget Sound area. 
 
A change of scenery is therapy for my soul!

I would be more than happy to have another good snowfall before spring.
I guess that's why I was born and live in North Idaho.


No comments:

Post a Comment

By commenting on this blog you give permission for your comment to be used in the testimonial section on my website if I so choose.